See The Local Puffins 2019 Northumberland
Published: Wednesday 29th May 2019
Written by: The Grace Darling Holidays Team
It is a great day out, full of fun and the perfect chance to see the local puffins, as they prepare to take care for their young, newly hatched puffling babies! It is such a wonderful sight to see, and something both young and old will love.
There will be so much more to see and do, including nature walks, bird watching, exhibitions, water sports. If you love history and art, there will also be some guided history tours, as well as some arts and crafts stalls. There will be events to interest all age groups, so it is perfect for the whole family.
To see the colony, which has over 20,000 puffins, you are able to take a family friendly boat trip from Amble Harbour. Coquet Island is about a mile offshore and as long as the weather is good, you will be able to see the Puffins and all the other wildlife there clearly. You could also see Arctic Terns, Common Terns, Fulmar, Eider Ducks and Grey Seals. You do not get off on the island, but cruise around it. Coquet Island has been an RSPB nature reserve since 1970. The island is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and protected all year round, so you can only observe from the boat! There are regular cruises over to the island which you don’t have to wait long for.
Some fantastic puffin facts:
- The Atlantic Puffin is now officially endangered – they are now facing the same level of extinction threat as African elephants
- Puffins nest in burrows in the soft sandy soil on the island. There is around 12,000 burrows!
- Puffins arrive on the waters around Coquet Island at the end of March
- You will likely see some puffins gather on the top of the low cliffs around the island
- Puffins and their pufflings leave Coquet Island at the end of July
- Around 44,000 seabirds nest on Coquet Island each year
- For more information, visit the Amble puffin website.
If you want to come and support the puffins, then Northumberland is for you.
While in the area, why not stay a while? Grace Darling has a wide range of great cottages suited for couples, families or even larger groups up to 12. There are some late availability deals available if you want to find something next week in Northumberland.